ALEC is working hard towards building community resilience in Alice Springs and surrounding desert communities. This is a long-term commitment to developing sustainable food systems, reduce dependence on fossil fuels and strengthening the local community. We are:
- Sharing knowledge and driving innovation for living sustainably in the arid lands
- Supporting communities to be more energy efficient, reduce waste, grow food locally and conserve water
- Identifying opportunities to catalyse systemic change
ALEC initiatives include:
- COOLmob Energy Efficiency - energy efficiency advice to low income earners, school programs and public workshops
- Arid Edge Environmental Services – providing research, training, project management, design and consulting services in the areas of water, waste, food, and energy.
- desertSMART EcoFair - Central Australia’s premier science and sustainability event
- Education for Sustainability Central Australian Network (EFSCAN) – supporting sustainability education in Central Australia.
- Food for Alice – supports a local growers market and developing food security
- The Roadmap to a desertSMART Town – a blueprint for making Alice Springs a resilient and vibrant desertSMART town.
- Waste Reduction - waste reduction tips and initiatives
ALEC also supports:
- Alice Springs Community Garden - a space for communal gardening, individual garden plots, community workshops, information sharing and education.