ALEC's goal is to protect our arid home, and ensure the arid lands are biodiverse and resilient. We're proud to present our 2021 annual report: Water, Climate, Action.
The report shows the incredible energy that ALEC, alongside its members, supporters and allies brought to the challenge we face together: protecting people and nature in the arid lands.
Here's what you'll find inside:
- Our new 10-year strategy: a snapshot of ALEC’s strategy, goal and tactics
- Policy advocacy: ALEC produced 13 submissions across areas including water, mining regulations, climate, conservation, renewable energy and gas
- Solar future: Alice Springs Future Grid aims to increase the amount of renewable energy in our grid, and ALEC is proud to be leading Future Grid's community-facing activities
- Water: the campaign to stop the Singleton Station water licence and advocacy for stronger, more robust water laws to protect this precious resource
- Food security: the Amern Mwerr Good Food project builds food gardens and runs nutrition education for kids and adults in Indigenous communities
- Conservation: Alice Springs Bushcare team increases native biodiversity
- History: Celebrating over 40 years at the ALEC Gala Dinner
- Our community: stories from ALEC fundraisers and volunteers
ALEC has worked to protect people and nature in the arid lands and beyond for over 40 years. Together, we strive towards our vision of ‘healthy futures for arid lands and people'.
There's no ALEC without you!
ALEC is entering a new phase of complex threats to our climate and environment. At the same time, the impact of the covid-19 pandemic on people’s livelihoods saw a significant reduction in ALEC’s fundraising income. Your support and participation are critical.
Please consider how you might deepen your involvement by making a donation or becoming one of a core group of Desert Defenders. You might also consider leaving a legacy to nature through a gift in your Will.