This year I’ve embarked on a low-plastic waste challenge for my family. Every fortnight I’ll be posting a low-plastic WIN that I’ve had in Alice Springs. Please email me at Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any good ideas you’d like to share!
Solution #3 Pick the low hanging fruit (and vegies)
In all honesty, cutting back single use plastic from my weekly shopping is proving to be really hard for some products, and I don’t always have the time to make everything from scratch.
The good news is that some plastic free changes are easier than others. I’m consistently buying all of my fruit and vegetables the way Mother Nature made them…sans plastic!
Here’s a few tips:
- Buy individual produce instead of pre-bagged produce. For example, single tomatoes can replace a punnet of baby tomatoes.
- Take your own reusable carry bags to hold your individual fruits and vegetables, old rice bags and flour bags are helpful here, or you can buy purpose made carry bags.
- Buy local unpackaged produce where possible, try Food for Alice each Saturday from 9am to 12 noon at ALEC, 90 Gap Road.
- By growing your own herbs and sprouts at home, you can avoid plastic sleeves.
- Freeze buckets of mulberries during mulberry season, so you have year round frozen fruit.