Desert Knowledge Precinct Tour
Experience solar arrays and satellites, arts and culture, and learn about Indigenous land management on this guided walking tour!
The Desert Knowledge Precinct will be hosting a guided walking tour for the Alice Springs public. The event is part of desertSMART EcoFair, central Australia's premier science and sustainability event organised by the Arid Lands Environment Centre.
The tour begins at the DKA Solar Centre with:
- a Welcome to Precinct
- a renewable energy engineer discussing the Solar Centre’s purpose, data and the science behind it
Then visit the Precinct’s partner organisations for short presentations from:
- Centre for Appropriate Technology (satellite ground stations)
- Desert Knowledge Australia (DKA’s history and purpose)
- Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education (arts, culture and land management)
Meet at the Desert Knowledge Precinct’s visitor carpark at 3pm.
A program timetable will be updated soon.
- This tour involves a significant amount of physical activity, which includes three sections of walking between 10-15 minutes each. Patrons are to attend at their own risk, and should consider any limitations which could hinder them from comfortably attending this event.
- Attendees are able to skip individual sections of the tour should they wish to.
- The Precinct gates will be open to visitors between 2:00pm to 6:00pm, after which they will automatically shut. A contact number will be provided on the day of the tour should you encounter issues.
- Water and hand sanitizing stations will be available at the Solar Centre and café.
- Light snacks will be provided, and goods from the Café are available to purchase.
To adhere to COVID-19 safety guidelines, attendees should:
- Maintain 1.5 meters physical distancing throughout the tour.
- Avoid handshakes.
- If possible, use tap-and-go if purchasing goods from the Café. (Cash will also be accepted.)
Attendees are encouraged to:
- Wear comfortable, closed shoes.
- Wear/carry sunscreen lotion.
- Bring a cap/hat.
To see the full EcoFair program visit www.ecofair.org.au
Alice Springs, NT 0870
Google map and directions