It's been a big year for RePower Alice Springs! Achievements over the last year have included:
- To kick off 2017 a planning session was held, which refocused the groups goals and re-organised the monthly meetings into a main monthly coordination group, with three subgroups focussing on people, power & politics meeting as needed. Up until this point ALEC had been providing facilitation and meeting support for Repower meetings, and after this we took over these functions our-self.
- Meetings were held with Minister McCarthy Member for Barkly, Minister Wakefield Member for Braitling, MLA Lambley Member for Araluen and MLA Paech Member for Namatjira. Political lobbying is being continued as part of the RePower AS engagement plan.
- Delivered a Community Solar Survey. RePower AS recognised the needed to have evidence of community backing for lobbying government for the vision of 100% solar by 2030. A Community Solar survey was developed to measure community support and identify where the focus of education should be on solar energy. The survey was commenced in May 2017 and was open for online and paper responses. Download the survey results here.
- Held a World Environment Day Dinner on the 5 June 2017, with a focus on renewable energy, Repowering Alice Springs, and how as individuals we are inspired to make a difference.
- Held an initial community power initiative meeting with representatives from Pingala, to discuss various power models and how a community power initiative might be implemented for Alice Springs. This meeting was the impetus for Repower developing and submitting a funding application to CANA.
- Secured a Climate Action Network Australia $5000 grant to purchase stall kit resources and to deliver a workshop on developing a community energy project for Alice Springs. The workshop was held in November with Tom Knuckolds from the Community Power Agency.
- Repower AS met with the Renewable Roadmap Taskforce and made a submission.
- Ongoing and productive meetings with Territory Generation.
If you would like to get involved with RePower Alice Springs please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/repoweralicesprings/
Our monthly meetings will start again 5pm Monday 5th February at ALEC, 90 Gap Road.